Thursday, November 20, 2014

Borrowed wheels & tires, sideways exit!

SUPER thanks to Gib today.  He was quite kind, as always, to let me borrow 4 wheels and tires from one of his trailers for a week or so.  That's got to be one of the weirdest things I've asked to borrow from someone???Maybe you remember something weirder.  It sure was rational though.  This will save me a whopping $650 and the environment at least that much in destruction from that whole process.  I'll borrow them again in a few months when I move the building up to the site where it will hopefully reside for 10 years or so.  I may build another trailer eventually for lumber hauling, etc, using the same running gear form this project and end up getting my own wheels and tires.


YAWN ALERT
(you may start feeling tired at the end of the first segment of this post, but it does get better)
First, lower the tongue jack as much as possible.


 Get some jacks under the rear as close to the framing as possible.


Then start jacking up the tongue and make sure things are landing where you want them.


Go, All, The, Wayyyy!!! (If necessary)


One side.


Other side.


VOILA!

Anyone yawning yet?  I just want folks to really know anything is possible.  Think about what you want to do and find a way to make it happen!  Look around.

So after a short day at work I got back in the shop to mount up the running gear (axles, springs, wheels, tires, etc)
Wheels mounted and both axle in their rough position.

The jack helped get the bottom of the drop axle on top so it was easy to mount the springs.



Going down!

 

 All springs mounted.  Started lowering the trailer to its final height.  This was quite exciting!


Though things didn't really want to fall in place right.  Next time I'd mount the springs to only the hangers instead of only the equalizer.


Got it all hooked up and tight enough for it's hand pulled exit.


Ope!  Not enough lean.  Find more chunks of wood.


Alright!


IT


COULD


GO


ALL


THE


WAYYYYYYY!!! TOUCHDOWN!!! (rare sports metaphor)


And some minor cleanup cause there was soooooo much slag, grinder abrasive, and metal dust all over the place.  I saved it all in a box to weigh out of curiosity.  It must have been at least 5 pounds!


Well these gussets could have been packaged a little more thoughtfully, but I guess it was 1/4' plate steel.  Not much damage could be expected.


But they could have staggered the seam....oh well.


Backed in the truck and setup the hitch mount vise I welded up earlier this year.  I really like this vise setup.


Then got all the gussets in place around midnight-ish.


Okay, time to call it quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment