Monday, November 24, 2014

Rust Happens QUICK & "The Iron Worker"

Well a good bit of rain over Saturday night quickly promoted the decay of this structure.


I got up to Paul's on Monday and used his 60 ton(yes, that is 120-THOUSAND pounds of available force) Punch, Press, Shear, aka "The Iron Worker".  I started off by punching 5/16 holes at marked spacings on the angle iron.  Then moved to the shearing setup and started cutting off the individual pieces.  All in all it took less than an hour (including the subsequent conversations with Paul that I enjoy so much) which is waaaayy faster than it would have taken to drill and cut all these pieces.  These will be welded on to the headers to be fastened to either side of the joists to keep them from flipping on their sides, sliding down-slope, or lifting off vertically along with the rest of the roof system.


I got out the wire brush and cleaned up the rust and got to spraying.  I think I may just spray the whole thing and hope to add 20 years to the life of the structure.

G'night for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment