Friday, November 21, 2014

Over the river and through the woods to the tag and title office we go

So I decided to take the day off and got to sleep in a bit this morning.  Today was a big day of getting this thing road legal.  Things started off fairly smoothly getting all the bolts finally tightened, though I still need to use an actual torque wrench on everything, mounting the lights, and the most obnoxious t-shirt I own to keep someone from rear ending me.

I got some wiring and a plug for all the lights and brakes, and got Gib a new tire to replace one that was almost bald.  I got my assigned number at the tag office and then headed over the the highway patrol office so they could verify that I stamped in this special number.  Well, I got there, but there was no highway patrol person, so I was S.O.L.  I went back over to the tag office and asked what to do and they said to go down the hill to the sheriff's office and see if they could find an HP person around.  After lots of much appreciated calling around and talking with an officer (first time I've been HAPPY to do so) I was told there was  HP man down the road.

I got back in the truck and headed that way with a different officer on my tail, thinking I was about to get pulled over for not having a tag or working lights and miss the HP man.  But no such bad luck ensued.  I got the parking lot where the HP man was and he was about to pull out, so I started running and waving, thinking, "well this probably looks weird."  He was great though.  I told him I needed him to look at this stamped number on my axle and sign this paper and he said, "Sure, I'll pull right over there [smile]."  SWEET!  All went smooth and he didn't even look at the lights.  Just looked and the number and said "Nice trailer."  The fifth compliment of the day was making me feel pretty darn good about my work.  Anyways, got the tag as well as my Southern Yellow Pine Rafters at the local ACE and headed home to call it quits for the day.

It was nice the feel that serve part of "to protect and serve" by the law enforcing officers of the area.  Rural folks are just so much better than Urban folks.  At least that has been my experience and I do have many great friends who live in cities.

Tomorrow that third dimension, the z-axis, more commonly known as height will be getting a big boost from some good friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment